ANGAZA SPORTS AND DEVELOPMENT CENTRE is a community and youth driven Non-Governmental organisation (NGO) based in Thika town 40km from the capital city, Nairobi. Founded and started its operations in 2008 and registered as an NGO in 2009, Angaza uses sport as a way of bringing youth and childen together to participate in organised sports activities while delivering opportunities, skills, knowledge in Education(scholarships awards, mentorship and inspiration), Community outreach(community leagues, crime, drug and substance abuse, environment, HIV/AIDS, child safeguarding, conflict resolution, life skills etc), Digital learning Centre(animation, photography, filming, community e-library, computer training, soft skills, micro enterprise and exchange programs), girls empowerment(girls forums, Go sisters event, life skills), Football academy and Social enterprise where we make customized beads. All these aims at achieving a positive and healthy life.. Angaza upholds the power of sport as an all-terrain vehicle for addressing the above interventions and has already impacted more than 2500 youth between 8– 23 years.
Angaza is a Swahili word meaning light and aims to live by its name and become a beacon of light in the field of sport and development.
“Youth and Sports developed through world class sports and development programs”
“To be the leading professional sports organization in Kenya, providing effective sporting and social inclusion initiatives for youth and children.”
- Motivate and inspire
- Maximum participation and inclusion
- Total enjoyment and learning
- Youth between 18 – 25 years
- Local community
Angaza’s interventions since 2010 to date have shown positive developments in the lives of children and youth and as well as local communities; some of the impacts are as follows:
- Initiated the only community football league for the U10, U12, U14 and U17 youth in Thika, reaching more than 50 teams and 1250 youth and children. This has increased youth participation and improved sports skills for the youth.
- Through our Education program, 12 beneficiaries have benefited from scholarship award, mentorship and inspiration
- Started digital learning centre which offers computer trainings, exchange programs, community e-library, photography, animation, photography, micro- enterprise and soft skills.
- Started football academy for U10, U12, U14 and U17 years. This year U14 team reached the copa coca cola finals, representing the whole of central Kenya region. We have also trained coaches to run the academy on Coach Education Level 1 and 2
- Leadership development; Angaza is founded and run by the youth themselves, by giving youth opportunities to lead has raised a young generation of leaders in the area who are responsible and enlightened.
- Community engagement and involvement; parents and community leaders are now involved in development work in Thika; this was facilitated by using the youth to bridge the gap and actively engage their parents in community work.
- Improved HIV/Aids and life skills awareness among the youth. In 2008, majority of the youth could not make informed choices about their life. Angaza started integrating this into Sports programs; currently 50% of active youths are aware of the fundamental life skills.
- Gender balance; Angaza believes in advocating and engaging both genders in its development work. Girls are able to do all that boys are doing in the organization; there is improved participation leadership and activities.
- Established local and international networks. Since the organization was started, it has managed to attract very important local and international partners and networks. The organization is intact with the community and the local authorities and institutions.